Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Year's Time...

Carbing, hydrating, and mentally preparing for Saturday's race. I'm really excited about this race because a year ago Saturday, I ran my first half marathon and finished in 2:16:07. That was *the day* I fell in love with running. I will never forget the emotions when I crossed the finish line.

A lot has happened in a year's time. I have been after a new PR ever since. In the middle of training for the Mercedes, I developed an issue with my ITB and had to stop training. But I ran it anyway because I was determined not to quit.  Pretty decent time, but not a PR.  My third half was the Country Music Half in Nashville in April, and I missed a new PR by 18 seconds!  The route was hilly and crowded and the course was long.  It was a huge disappointment, but I gave it my all and ran it hard.  Had terrible pain in my right shin after that. Came home and ran a couple of trails and decided to sign up for the XTERRA Half.  Ran the XTERRA Half in May, which was my first trail half, with leg pain. Cortisone shot helped that one day...Woohoo!  Finally found out the pain was from a varicose vein and had leg surgery in June.  Decided I wanted the "marathoner" title, so marathon training began in July. Finally I was injury free and decided at the last minute to run Talladega three weeks ago. Unexpectedly, I came home with that new PR I've been after all this time...1:59:58!!  I wanted a new PR, but never in a million years would I have thought I was capable of a sub 2:00.

So will I PR again at MGM this weekend?  Who knows. But I know one thing, I plan to lay it all out on the table this Saturday.  \m/\m/  Hope everyone has a great weekend of running!!

No comments:

Post a Comment